Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Week 2 Blog Entry

Hi Readers,

       I am currently enrolled in a Master's program and I take my classes online. The winter session has begun and I am two weeks in. The professor (Professor Artz) for one of my courses requires a blog and some entries, so I will use my blog to do a few assignments. I actually started this blog after taking a previous class with Prof. Artz. I will still update you all on my hair journey and life. School is a part of my life so here it goes.

      I am always up for learning new things. The course investigates the relationship between ethics and decision-making and then “examines optimal ways to communicate both processes and results to various stakeholders.” As a person who would like to manage others, this class purpose is important. In business, decisions you make can affect a lot of people. During this course I will also learn ways to respond to ethical dilemmas and effective ways to communicate my response. People view ethical behavior different, so approaching others about their behavior may be awkward and challenging. So I look forward to learning effective responses.

    Class Objective
    Students who successfully complete this course should be able to:
  1. Describe major ethical issues in business and approaches to understanding business ethics.
  2. Compare different levels of analysis in ethical conduct and obligations.
  3. Explain common problems in ethical decision-making processes.
  4. Investigate methods to integrate ethics with optimal decision-making processes.
  5. Recommend communication strategies for ethical aspects of decision-making processes.
       The objectives seem interesting enough. I feel ethics start from the home, but I could be wrong. Something may be ethical to others and that same thing could be dead wrong to another person. I feel this class will provide me many examples of major ethical issues in business history. This is important to learn because history has a way of repeating itself. Number says I should be able to compare different levels of analysis in ethical conducts, I am not to sure what that means but I am assuming it has to do with The Seven Layers of Integrity text. I like the way the book breaks down each layer before reaching the end. Ethical issues in business happen time and time again, I am sure we all have witnessed something unethical at work. I think it will be nice to explain the problems in ethical decision-making processes. The objectives don't look easy and they don't look difficult but help from classmates and Prof. Artz will be welcomed.

        I have taken an ethics class in my undergrad years, I didn't expect to really examine the dilemma. I thought this course would be “don't do this” “do this” type of course. But according to the objectives and purpose, it will be much more than that. The course seems far from dull to me. I started watching the Enron movie, and I find myself smirking and shaking my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment