Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Just Donated Some Blood

     Within the last 12 months I have gone to donate blood three times and I succeeded twice! My first attempt was my senior year in high-school. I'm 2 for 2 when it comes to donating. Sometimes my iron is too low and they send me home. 


      There is something about donating blood when you don't have to. I really feel a sense of satisfaction when I do it. I honestly don't know why I didn't donate between age 18 and now. I know life happens and people get busy but I don't think that was it. I'm pretty sure I didn't care enough. I know, not nice. My best-friend got me into it, he said "do you want to save lives?" And I was like HECK YEA! He has been donating for years now. He also donates platelets. That takes longer than regular blood donations. 
        The worst part of donating blood is when they prick your finger to check you iron level, that's honestly the worst part. The whole donation process took about an hour. Read Red Cross material and then they ask you general questions while checking your pulse, blood pressure and iron. After that you answer questions on a computer about travel and possible exposure to contaminated blood.
Prep-work
        Once you pass the screening you lay down on a bed and decide which arm to sacrifice. My left arm had a better located vein, so left it was. They clean the area for an allotted amount of time. Don't look at the needle, especially if you don't like them. I detest getting shots from the doctors but this one is different, doesn't hurt but it's a weird feeling, can't really explain (remember you are saving lives). 

         I believe a pint is a standard donation and it can be done every 8 weeks as long as you are in good health. While the blood is being drawn out, you squeeze a stress ball every few seconds. My poor fingers, I'd say I squeezed the ball for 20 minutes. Once the blood donation is done, YOU GET SNACKS. Like in elementary school before they banned sweets. It's recommended you sit, eat and drink for 10-15 before going about your day. 
          I'm not a huge Red Cross fan because after my first donation, they began to call me like crazy. After weeks or months, I got a hold of them and told them to stop it. Red Cross I don't mind donating and a reminder is nice, but there is no need to call me 6 days a week. I'm actually witting a paper on the ethics of telemarketing, of course Red Cross isn't considered a telemarketer, I digress. 

Do you partake in any charities? Which ones? I am always up to learn!
Do you know your blood type?
Love and Peace everyone
Peace and love

2 comments:

  1. This is so good! you are indeed saving lives! I would definitely love to do this.

    The one charity I help with is for child literacy in my home country Malawi.

    Helping out with charities, always makes me feel so warm inside! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne!
      I actually came across a picture of Malawian children on Instagram. I can't remember what it was about but that charity sounds really good. Hopefully I'll find it again. Totally agree, helping out does make me feel warm inside

      Delete