Thursday, March 6, 2014

Protective Styling Over Here- Too Many Meltdowns

That whole bottom left, just gone, SHOT!
       It seemed I had a hair meltdown at least twice a week. Usually the day after I had a wash day. Unnecessary tears, lots of things not getting done, lots of frustration. My hair was taking over. It had to stop, seriously, hair should be enjoyed. 
       
         I would never call myself adventurous when it came to hair, a cut here and there but that's about it. One late night it hit me and I decided to install my own protective style. Of course there were blogs and videos for days on the topic. I learned so much about twists, Marley twist, Havana twists, Senegalese twists. I scrolled through endless pics and fell in love. 
       
         Originally I wanted Havana twists, read the cons and then decided Marley twists.i wanted instant gratification but when I got to the store they only had 100% Jumbo braid hair. "Don't fret Aku, we can use this for jumbo Senegalese twists." I bought 5 packs and I finally purchased my Beautiful Texture Curl Control Defining Pudding(you guys remember that twist-out in New York, LAID).

       All month I've been focusing on moisture, moisture, moisture. I did do one protein treatment I believe, I don't know who's tracking? I green housed a lot. The night before the installation I clarified with ORS Creamy Aloe. I did an overnight DC with ORS Replenishing Pak. I wasn't heavy handed at all because I don't want any build up. Washed it out with some ACV to be more thorough. Moisturized and sealed. Cool-air tension method and detangled. The night before I also sprayed the extensions with one part ACV and one part water, I read the extensions have something on them that makes people itch like crazy. 

          After hours of researching I learned two ways to put the twist in and how to feather the extensions. I didn't think featuring was necessary and I was so eager to begin, I ended up doing those parts over with better feathered hair. I like the invisible method for installing the hair, It took hours to perfect though. Tuesday I worked on my hair for 10 hours. Wednesday another 5. This duration will never happen again, it was my first time so I was okay with how long it took. 

For the installation I used-

  • Aloe Vera gel
  • Beautiful Texture with water
  • Water and Avocado mix
       Wednesday was definitely better than Tuesday. I got the installation down much better so I redid a lot from the day before. 
       Slacking on my work-out routine but I won't let these jumbo twist stop me. The researching late at night and installing late at night, not my best working out week at all. 








            I was so eager to put this post up, mistakes and all, poor pictures I know I know. I didn't want to pull my camera out. But I will be back for more updates. 

Peace and Love
Aku



6 comments:

  1. How cute! I've been crushing on marley twists for months!!!!!! It's just that install time and not being able to touch my hair when I wanna touch my hair that keeps me from taking the plunge. These look great on you!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP! The install time was long but so far it feels so worth it! Lol I don't want to touch my hair.

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing self installation attempt! Love them!

    ReplyDelete